The ‘Istituto Lusofarmaco d'Italia’ was established in Milan in 1951 by two Portuguese businessmen. As an offshoot of the homonymous ‘Instituto Luso-Fármaco de Lisboa,’ it was created to manufacture and market in Italy a series of pharmaceutical products that were already marketed in Portugal. The immediate success of the company, and the careful management by Dr. Giorgio Lorenzini, prompted a redefinition of its strategic goals. In a few years, the production was expanded with the purchase of the headquarters in Via Carnia, and the acquisition of a chemical plant (Lusochimica, http://www.lusochimica.it/).
Fourteen years after its establishment, a magazine article described Lusofarmaco as: “The company we have taken as a symbol of the leading Italian pharmaceutical industry (…) Its intellectual component is so dominant that not only influences the company's life and efficiency, but also determines by itself the economic value of the product (...) It is very well known to the medical community for its seriousness and for its range of up-to-date medicinal products that it provides both for the national and the international market.” (EPOCA – 1965)
Thanks to its investments and attention to human intelligence, as well as its seriousness and dedication to everyday tasks, Lusofarmaco was soon acknowledged as a highly-trusted company whose reliability has been confirmed and consolidated over the years, and continues to the present day.
A milestone in the history of Lusofarmaco was its entry into the Menarini Group in 1983, which gave the company a more international outlook and the opportunity to expand its portfolio with innovative drugs thanks to important investments in R&D.
The company's reliability and solidity, the commitment and dedication of its members, and the safety of its marketed products allow Lusofarmaco to project into the future with a clear and confident vision of the validity of its work.